Sunday, September 18, 2011

Strawberry Honey Jam

Who: Amy Elizabeth Mucken
What: Made canned jam for the first time in her life:  Honey Strawberry Jam
Where: Our home
When: 9/18/2011
Why: Oh please
How (& More):

I have been wanting to can for as long as I can remember.  I had a very clear vision of my adult life as a child, and canning, walking the dog and wearing an apron during cocktail parties were a solid part of it.  We have a cat that is like a dog, I have 3 aprons, but none seem very practical or efficient and I have never ever ever canned anything - until today.

I found a great recipe on this delicious site called Simple Bites.    I bought some pint sized ball canning jars a couple months ago once our last show opened, but never got around to actually doing it.  This last week I woke up thinking:  NOTHING IS IN SEASON NOW.  Then I laughed because I live in Southern California, where many things ARE in season year round.   I did some searching, found the Simple Bites site and hunted for the perfect recipe to dip into my new hobby:  CANNING.

As an adult I am trying to not fall into the same crafty-traps I had as a younger woman.  Deciding I loved biking and buying $600 worth of gear only to realize I only liked biking and didn't use it much.  So my first task was to use what I actually had on hand until I knew if this canning hobby practically resonated with me.

I chose the Honey Strawberry Jam as I have always loved my mom's strawberry freezer jam.  It is a comfort food, and what better thing to pull off the shelf than something you know will soothe you.  I am also trying to stay away from sugars and additives, so this simple recipe also fit the bill.

I woke up at 8am, went to the Hollywood Farmer's Market and bought 6 pints of delicious tasting fresh strawberries.  I also picked up a jar of Feta Stuffed Olives for my husband.  But that doesn't matter here.


The mashed strawberries during their first boiling


I prepped it using a hot water bath.  And read all the "Canning 101" information on the Simple Bites site as a helpful guide.  I didn't have a "jar puller outer" or a magnet stick, or a pressure cooker, so the finished jars were pulled out (frantically) using spaghetti tones.  I am sure you won't be able to tell with the finished product.  



With the 6 pints of strawberries, 4 boxes of pectin and 3 cups of honey I made 12 280ml of jam + 3 pints.  We'll be tasting them soon!   Fingers crossed.  




1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love your inaugural blog! And the jam looks so pretty and delicious...I hope you still have some when I come to visit!

    ReplyDelete