Sunday, August 4, 2013

Flange CD Lamp

I saw this amazing thing on Pinterest, a lamp made from old CD casings.  Light and use of light is my favorite kind of art, so I repinned the photo.   The artist who created it hadn't shared the recipe and though many others had commented on it, but I couldn't find HOW to do it.

So I decided to just figure out how to do it by doing it.   

Ingredients:
cds
light source
wire

First I needed the light source.  Ikea sells these, but the ones at amazon are a little bit cheaper and you don't have to get into a fight with your husband at Ikea.  

I have three boxes of old cds "waiting to be burned", so I didn't need to worry about finding that supply.

We have tons of wire from old theatre projects, and a life-long love of the arts and crafts.  I just needed to figure out how to attach the light source to the cds in an attractive way.

A trip to the hardware store!  I needed something circular that would serve as an internal frame to hold/attach the cds too, that would also allow the cord and light to nest inside.   I told myself I was an artist, and it was ok to walk up and down the aisles aimlessly looking at all of the items in hopes of finding the perfect way to repurpose it.   Screens, sink drains, netting, finally resting on a large flange about 6.5 inches in diameter.   AND it cost less than $2.00 so if it didn't work I needn't be bitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment