Sunday, September 25, 2011

Atomic Peaches (the canned good formally known as "Honey-Spiced Peaches"

This recipe was my second attempt in canning.   I am doing basic water bath recipes so as not to get overwhelmed and to get a sense of what looks right and wrong.

Last Monday, my husband had an epidural for his herniated disk.  I knew he would be in and out of consciousness throughout the day so that meant:  project day!   I stopped by the Poinsettia Farmer's Market and picked up 10 pounds of fresh and delicious looking peaches.

This was my first time blanching.   I practiced the face a lot first - 1) scrunch your lips like you ate 20 sour balls.  2)  Open your eyes wide in painful surprise.  3)  hold your breath.



My main source for guidance (and by source I mean I followed it step-by-step without fail) was the Honey-Spiced Peaches Recipe on the Ball Canning Site.

Blanching was crazy easy.  I don't know why boiling water is terrifying, but I get very nervous when I am around it in large amounts.   I had purchased an Asian strainer that is AWESOME and used that to transport the peaches in and out of the boiling pot into a cold water bath.   This made them very easy to peel and I found it both fun and meditative.



I sliced about 1/2 of the peaches I had before I realized I had left the oft-crunchy outer chunks of the pit on some of my fruit.  Ideally I would have trimmed that - but we have no time for details like that in the Post-Apocolyptic, so suck it.

This recipe probably took me 3 hours to do from start to finish.  I made 9 pints of Atomic Peaches with the 10 pounds of produce.   After adding the cost of the cinnamon sticks, all spice, cloves, jars and equipment - each jar cost about $9.00 to make.  You roll your eyes, because you can buy the Hines version for $1.19 - regular price!   Yeah, we'll see what you are willing to pay when the Zombies are clawing your windows for 16 hours a day.

The Atomic Peaches will be debuting on our dessert trays tonight under some delicious vanilla frozen yogurt.  I'll update you later to tell you how they fare.  





No comments:

Post a Comment