Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Party-All-The-Time Lamp

Who:  Mucken (and her trusty crafty sidekick Tiger Reel)
What: Upgrading a crappy colored lamp shade into a work of art
Where: Our home
When: Last year until forever
Why: I love lights and lamps and want to do more projects involving them.
How (& more):

This lamp was a forced-out-of-necessity creation.   I had a very useful standing lamp from Ikea that I had purchased for $20 back in the early 90's.   Unfortunately the light maroon lampshade did not match the pumpkin color my husband and I had chosen for our living room walls.  What to do, what to do?

I have kept a file of crafts I wanted to do "someday" ever since I started my hoarding habit aka: had a room of my own.    One of the items was ripped from a magazine and talked about how to create beautiful shadow paperings in the shapes of leaves to overlay a lampshade.   Well, I love crafts, but my talent is minimal.  I can't paint unless it is in dot-like patterns and my mad skills last about an hour and a half before I'm ready to move on.  This coincidentally coincides with the average cocktail hour.

Then I ran into THIS! - on my favorite website:  Amazon.com


I could get 144 of these for FIVE DOLLARS.  And I did.  The night they arrived my husband and I had planned on sitting and watching a movie, or Top Model, and I said "hey, I need your help for a few minutes..."   For the next 2 hours, he patiently opened tiny paper umbrellas for me as I stabbed them into the Ikea lampshade.   It looks great!  



The lamp is one of our more popular conversation pieces in our home and two of my best girlfriends (Julie Terrell Travis & Susan Brindley) love to mock the fact that all the sticks are still showing on the inside of the shade.  It looks a bit like a torture tool, and "maybe someday" I'll trim them, but honestly, that is part of what gives it that homemade look.   So suck it.   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment